Homemade Pop Tarts
1 1/2 cup Cake Flour
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 stick Butter (Cold)
1/4 cup Lard (Cold)
1/4 – 1/2 cup Ice Water
8 Tbsp of your Favorite Jam
4 tbsp milk
Vanilla Icing Glaze
- In a bowl combine Cake Flour, All Purpose Flour, Sugar, and Salt. Add butter. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal (or pulse using a food processor). Drizzle water into the mixture 2 tbsp at a time until the mixture begins to hold together.
- Divide dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate an hour or until firm.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Cut each half of dough in half again.
- Preheat oven to 375
- On a lightly flour surface, begin to roll out a quarter of the dough. Roll into a 9×8 inch rectangle. Trim excess. Cut in half lengthwise to form two 9×4 inch rectangles. Cut each rectangle crosswise into thirds.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry dough. You would have 12 rectangles total
- Lay 6 of the rectangles out onto a silicone mat, and prick each rectangle with fork.
- Lay out the other 6 rectangles onto a silicone mat, spoon 1 tbsp of jam onto 6 rectangles. Using a pastry brush moisten edges with milk and top with the rectangles that have been pricked with the fork. Use a fork to press the edges to seal the pastry dough. Reserve left over milk.
- Transfer each Pop Tart to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add an egg to the reserved milk.
- Combine egg and milk, Brush the tops of each Pop Tart with the egg wash.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze
1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
In a small bowl stir together confectioners sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg. Add milk 2 tbsp at a time, and whisk until you reach drizzling consistency.