There’s a national holiday for everything it seems, so I wasn’t surprised to discover that there’s a National Oreo Day. Oreos are a cookie classic. I love them, and I bet you do too. They really are hard to resist.
To celebrate National Oreo Day, I wanted to do something extra special. I thought about my favorite cookie recipes and that made me think of Brookies. Have you ever had one? It’s a brownie and cookie hybrid, hence the name “Brookies.” It takes the best of both worlds and melds them together in one fabulously sweet concoction.
But I had even bigger plans. I made an Oreo Brookie that was so sublime and spectacular that I of course must share it with you! I used the Fudgy Brownies and the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies recipes from The America’s Test Kitchen book called The Perfect Cookie.
Then I made my own tweaks to incorporate Oreos for Oreo Brookies. I added the brownie batter to the bottom of a 6-ounce mason jar. Then I topped the brownie batter with two Mega Stuffed Oreos. On top of the Oreos, I added the cookie dough.
The results were predictably delicious and something you shouldn’t miss if you love brownies, chocolate chip cookies and Oreos. The brownie portion was so fudgy and gooey, and the cookie portion was wonderfully soft. With the Oreos in the middle it was an absolutely addictive combination, one that I suggest you make right now to satisfy your ultimate sweet tooth!
For the PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk 1¼ cups
12 Mega Stuffed Oreos
- Whisk flour and baking soda together in bowl.
- In a mixer cream butter, and sugars together. Add vanilla and salt. Whisk in egg and yolk until smooth and no lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Crush up the Mega Stuffed Oreos and mix into the cookie dough.
For the FUDGY BROWNIES
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 ounce milk chocolate, chopped
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
- Microwave chocolates in bowl at 50 percent power for 2 minutes. Stir in butter and continue to microwave, stirring often, until melted. Whisk in cocoa and let mixture cool slightly.
- Whisk sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt in large bowl until combined. Whisk chocolate mixture into sugar mixture until smooth. Using rubber spatula, stir in flour until no dry streaks remain.
Putting the Brookie Together.
If using mason jars, spray the inside of them with cooking spray. Fill the jar about 1/2 way with brownie batter. Place 2 Mega Stuffed Oreos, and top it off with Cookie Dough.
(I use a 2oz ice cream scoop to make these. I used a scoop and a half of brownie batter, and a scoop and a half of cookie dough per mason jar. I had enough cookie dough left over for about 12 cookies.)
If making in a baking pan, spray pan with non stick cooking spray and coat with flour, shake out excess flour. Fill the pan 1/3 of the way with brownie batter, place 10 – 12 Mega Stuffed Oreos, and top with cookie dough.
Bake at 350 for 35 – 40 mins.